Check out our ad about privatisation:
On March 28, let's send a clear message: NSW is Not For Sale.
Premier Mike Baird has promised he will privatise the electricity network if he wins the March election.
This will lead to:
- higher power prices—the McKell Institute estimates an extra $100 per year for each household;
- foreign corporation ownership of this essential public asset; and
- the government losing more than $1 billion a year in dividends that fund our schools and hospitals.
But did you know the Baird Government has also already privatised health services—leading to the Americanisation of the health system.
For example, the Liberals have privatised:
- the x-ray unit at Kempsey District Hospital;
- The Forensic Food Testing Lab at Lidcombe; and
- Warehousing of medical supplies.
Last December, the government signed a 20-year contract with private operator Healthscope to build and run the new Northern Beaches Hospital in Sydney. The government hasn't ruled out Maitland being a public-private partnership and the provision of surgical services at the new Byron Bay hospital has been put out to tender.
Privatisation of pubic health services compromises nurse-to-patient ratios and jeopardises services.
And the privatisation of TAFE courses has seen fees more than double for many courses—meaning many young people can no longer afford the training they need to get the job they want.
- A two-year diploma in Electrical Engineering has increased from $3,000 to $8,000 dollars.
- A Certificate III in bricklaying has increased from $1700 to $3600.
Once a public asset is gone, it’s gone for good—that’s why we need to take a stand and let the Premier know that NSW is Not For Sale.
Join the campaign
Sign up to get the latest information.
Help change the conversation about privatisation this election by #Knocking4Change.
Check out our Activist Headquarters to find everything you need to join the fight for jobs, rights and services.
Volunteer to keep the campaign growing.