• 1 x Permanent role, ongoing contract
• Based in the AMWU National Office, Granville
The AMWU Communications (Publications and Digital) Officer will work within our National Communications Team to assist in the Union’s communications across a range of print, digital and social media platforms.
The Communications Officer will be responsible for:
• the creation and management of the union’s key publications, including the quarterly Journal, Delegates’ News, and Occupational Health and Safety Bulletins,
• digital publications including the collation and publication of union news for the website and a regular email communication with AMWU membership;
• planning, production and distribution of content for social media channels, and work on the union’s website
The Officer will also assist to moderate the social media channels.
The Officer will work closely with the wider Communications team to assist with Communications projects as required and directed, including (but not limited to) materials for campaigns, email bulletins to members, and website maintenance.
The Communications Officer will work to support our communications team in their day-to-day and long-term communications tasks, particularly in the publications space.
This will include – but not be limited to – the following core responsibilities:
• Production of Quarterly Journal: forward plan content, source/ create content, liaise with contract graphic designers, liaise with relevant members and officials.
• Production of Quarterly Delegates’ News
• Gather and write union news stories for ongoing and regular publication on the union website and other online channels, ensuring all parts of the union are represented.
• Assist to document union events, particularly with photos and video, as required.
• Assist with and manage the production of other Union publications (printed and digital) as they arise.
• Creating content for social media channels, in line with forward planning.
• Monitoring and mediating social media channels, including responding to messages.
• Drafting and sending emails to targeted sections of the membership, as directed.
• Writing and targeting campaign emails to the union’s membership and supporters
• Ongoing maintenance and data collation tasks with the AMWU website.
• Creating website and social media based calls to action
• Identify when digital campaigns should be supported by other member contact, including via phone, sms and hard copy materials, and work with other staff to develop this
• Other promotional, digital and campaign work as it arises
• Excellent communication skills - verbal, written and graphic;
• Strong interpersonal skills;
• Strong skills with Microsoft Office Suite;
• Strong and demonstrated writing experience across different media, including email, social, flyers, long form articles and media releases, with an understanding of how copy needs to be tailored to medium and audience;
• Ability to work to deadline in a busy environment, with multiple projects on the go;
• Ability to forward plan multiple projects in order to meet short and long term deadlines;
• An understanding of the digital media environment and how to link content across platforms;
• Computer, website and social media skills and knowledge, and a willingness to expand these skills;
• Basic photography and video capturing skills;
• Experience in working as part of team;
• Ability to take instructions and work independently;
• Creativity and initiative in content creation with an ability to recognise news stories that are relevant to our audiences and suggest appropriate responses;
• Experience dealing with and understanding social media channels and their norms and audiences;
• Strong skills with websites and website content
• Experience working on issues campaigns, and an understanding of how to use various communications to further campaign goals
• Experience and expertise with online targeted advertising;
• Ability to edit video for social media;
• Basic graphic design skills
• Knowledge of the Australian media landscape
• Knowledge of the Australian Federal Political System
• Experience working with Nationbuilder websites
SALARY AND CONDITIONS:
• As per Officials and Officers Wages and Conditions of Employment
• $83,902.00 - $94,939.00, depending on experience
• One RDO per month