District Legal/Industrial Officer – MEU
Date Advertised 07/11/2023
Job Advertisement – District Legal/Industrial Officer
Mining & Energy Union
We are looking to employ a Legal/Industrial Officer to be based in our Northern Mining and NSW
Energy District Office in Cessnock, NSW. The vacancy is for a permanent position, subject to the
successful completion of a probationary period.
The successful applicant will work as part of a Legal/Industrial Team
This is an excellent opportunity for a self-motivated and skilled union lawyer looking to progress
their career and take the next step with a union, which invests in strategic litigation and is
regularly involved in leading-edge litigation in the Fair Work Commission, the Federal Court of
Australia, and the High Court of Australia.
To be the successful applicant you must have the following attributes:
• A commitment to unionism and a belief in social justice.
• A law degree and a practising certificate recognised in New South Wales (or eligibility to obtain
• Sound knowledge of Australian industrial relations, labour law and employment law.
• Prepare and advocate cases before the Fair Work Commission, other tribunals, and courts.
• Ability to prepare barrister briefs and to act as an instructing solicitor.
• Ability to work under pressure and with limited supervision against well-resourced opponents.
• Ability to interpret legislation, awards, agreements and provide expert advice on industrial,
work health & safety and workers compensation rights and entitlements.
• Capacity to exercise good judgement and work independently within a team environment.
• A willingness to travel inter-state, including to regional or remote locations as required.
• Research and prepare reports and liaise with other staff.
• Driver’s licence.
You will have an advantage in applying for this position if you have one or more of the following
• Previous experience working for a trade union or labour law firm.
• Prior experience in industrial and employment tribunals and courts.
• Some knowledge of, or experience in, the mining and energy industries.
• Prior involvement in the labour movement or progressive community organisations.
• The ability to conduct high-level legal research.
• Demonstrated capacity to communicate effectively with a wide range of people, including
members, delegates, full-time officials, employers, and other stakeholders.
Terms and Conditions of Employment:
The position is a permanent full-time role and is subject to the successful completion of a 6-month
Employment conditions are amongst the best salary and conditions of employment of any
equivalent role in the union movement. Full details of salary and entitlements will be provided to
the short-listed applicants.
The position of the Northern Mining & NSW Energy District Legal/Industrial Officer represents an
excellent career opportunity for the successful applicant.
The position is to commence as soon as practicable, subject to the availability of the successful
How to apply:
Applications consisting of a cover letter, which addresses the essential requirements and desirable
attributes, and a resume/CV should be forwarded by email as follows:
Mr Shane Thompson
MEU Northern Mining & NSW Energy District
Please note that in explaining any prior experience in courts or tribunals in the cover letter, in
addition to any other explanation in respect of the issue, candidates should also expressly cite a
limited number of cases they have appeared in or instructed in (if any) that are broadly
representative of their prior advocacy experience. This is to provide the interviewing panel with a
proper understanding of the candidates’ prior advocacy experience.
Applications close at 4.00pm on Thursday, 30 November 2023.
All applications will be treated confidentially.