Industrial Officer – IEU
Date Advertised 17/11/2023
Independent Education Union of Australia – NSW/ACT Branch
The IEUA NSW/ACT Branch represents more than 30,000 teachers and support
staff in NSW and the ACT employed in Catholic Schools, independent schools, and other non-government organisations such as early childhood services and post-secondary colleges.
The Union is looking to employ an industrial officer based in our office in Ultimo, Sydney, close to Central Station. The commencement date is negotiable but would preferably be at the end of January 2024.
ROLE OF INDUSTRIAL OFFICER
The role will include the following:
- Dealing with collective and individual industrial cases on a regular basis.
- Undertaking enterprise bargaining.
- Advocacy in the Fair Work Commission on a wide range of matters.
- Advocacy in a range of other tribunals.
- Briefing Counsel for more complex matters in the Fair Work Commission, the Federal Circuit Court, the Federal Court of Australia, and other tribunals.
- Provision of advice to other union officers and members on a range of industrial issues and rights, including the interpretation of agreements and dispute handling.
- Assisting in the general work of the union.
Ideal candidates will have the following attributes:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications, preferably legal or industrial relations qualifications.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, good inter-personal skills, the capacity to work as part of a team.
- Competency in using Microsoft Office and Word.
- Ability to be self-motivated and pursue complex matters.
- Attention to detail and ability to review and assess complex / technical documentation reform, and the capacity to respond to current education issues.
- Understanding of the Fair Work Act and other relevant employment legislation.
- A commitment to trade unionism and/or social justice.
- A driver’s licence is desirable but not essential.
Salary will be in accordance with the IEU Officers’ salary scale, based on experience, with a new graduate rate of $88,000 progressing to a maximum salary of $159,000. Superannuation is currently 14.5%. New graduates and experienced industrial officers are both encouraged to apply.
Officers receive time in lieu of 11 days per year, additional annual leave, closedown leave over the Christmas period and other conditions in line with or above industry standards.
Officers generally work from 9am-5pm but there is considerable flexibility in working hours. Occasional weekend and evening work will be required. Overnight travel may also be necessary on an occasional basis.
For more information, please feel free to contact Joanna at the IEU in the first instance on 02 8202 8900 or 1800 467 943 or firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Industrial Officer enquiry via EthicalJobs.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be made in writing, setting out your qualifications, work experience, and other relevant material, including union involvement and referees. Referees will only be contacted if you are the preferred candidate. Please address your application to:
IEUA NSW/ACT Branch.
Closing date for applications: Midday, Tuesday 5 December 2023
Preferred starting date: Monday 29 January 2024