$124,615.00 per annum + Superannuation + 12 RDOs
+ 5 weeks annual leave + Christmas shutdown
The New South Wales Nurses and Midwives’ Association (NSWNMA) in association with the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation New South Wales Branch (ANMF NSW Branch) seeks an Industrial Officer to join our Organising Private Hospital and Aged Care (OPAC) team on a permanent full-time basis.
In this role within the OPAC team, you will progress collective bargaining campaigns and strategic industrial relations matters, including the provision of expert support, advice and representation to members and NSWNMA/ANMF NSW Branch union officers in the broad areas of development and achievement of collective bargaining Agreements through embracing organising frameworks.
This position will appeal to Industrial Officers who want to combine their technical and negotiation skills with campaigning work and those who enjoy collaboration with workplace delegates and Organisers.
In this role you will:
- specialise in the conduct of industrial, technical and representative aspects of organising campaigns to empower member leaders and grow the union’s workplace power; and the conduct of enterprise bargaining in areas determined as strategic priorities.
- directly contribute to the Association’s strategy of building member power by organising high density, action-focused member-lead networks, and building member-led collective action to win.
To be considered for this role you require:
- Demonstrated commitment to the trade union movement
- Commitment to strive for the advancement of nurses and midwives and their professions
- Thorough working knowledge of contemporary industrial relations legislation and practices and adaptability to changing legislative regimes
- Specific knowledge and preferably experience in the negotiation of collective agreements
- Specific knowledge and experience in tribunal advocacy
- Developed negotiation, advocacy and representation skills
- Experience in program/project development, implementation and evaluation ability including skills such as co-ordination, highly-developed consultation skills
- High level of initiative and ability to self-manage a range of complex issues/matters simultaneously; prioritise work considering campaign, team and organisational goals
- Ability to exercise accurate and high level judgment about industrial issues, including those with union-wide sensitivity or implications, commensurate with level of experience in the role
- Ability to operate and deliver outcomes in a political environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- High level of industrial research and analytical skills
- Flexibility to adapt to high pressure situations and meet tight deadlines under pressure
- Ability to provide professional leadership and direction to Organisers on industrial issues
- Embrace organising frameworks in your execution of bargaining campaigns; or where not able to demonstrate this at the point of employment, a willingness to learn and apply these
- Ability to participate effectively as a member of a team
- Word processing and typing capacity to a level of reasonable self-sufficiency and working knowledge of Word, email and Excel, internet searching
- Ability to relate effectively with members/delegates/potential members, and employers/employer representatives
- Current driver’s licence (class 1A)
Relevant tertiary education:
- A degree including industrial relations, or alternatively arts, law or other broad social sciences discipline is relevant. An alternative is an extensive number of years’ experience working directly in the specialist IR field, most likely augmented by diploma or continuing education-level studies in IR
- Experience in related fields such as work as an Organiser, industrial research officer or employment/IR lawyer is an additional benefit
- Prior working experience in the trade union movement is an additional benefit
How to apply for this position:
Click here to apply for this position online. In your application, please address each point of the selection criteria found in the Industrial Officer position description.
NSWNMA/ANMF NSW Branch is an Equal Opportunity Employer and fosters a diverse workplace.
Applications close Monday, 7 June 2021.