National Industrial Officer – MEAA
National Industrial Officer - MEAA
About the Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
The Media Entertainment & Arts Alliance is the union and leading advocate for workers in
the media, entertainment and arts industries. It represents performers, journalists and all
other workers in the media, entertainment and arts industries and has over 15,000 members.
Building on our proud history we aim to empower the people who inform and entertain
- Protect & advance our rights at work: Improving our members income and
conditions, providing timely and expert advice to members, enforcing members rights
at work and promoting safe and respectful workplaces.
- Build Power: Recruit and grow leaders, activists and supporters, ensure best
practice governance and accountability, continue staff development and build
- Build Community: Utilise communications to engage and activate, remain relevant
throughout members lives, reach out to new areas and be the creative hub.
- Shape our Industries: Be the respected and authoritative voice across all of our
industries, influence policy, mobilise our membership and broaden our sphere of
- Provide Services that our members and potential members value: Find out what
our members and potential members want, give it to them.
Our members include people working in television, radio, theatre and film, entertainment
venues and recreation grounds, as journalists, actors, dancers, sportspeople, cartoonists
and photographers, orchestral and opera performers, as well as people working in public
relations, advertising, book publishing and website production.
Our Locations and Staffing
The MEAA national office is in Redfern in Sydney.
There are branch offices located in Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, and Perth.
MEAA represents its members who are based throughout Australia.
Equity is the performers’ section of the Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance.
We are currently looking for an experienced industrial/legal officer to join the Equity team in
the MEAA national office, based in Redfern.
Reporting to the Equity Director the successful candidate will provide industrial services in
relation to the screen (film, television, interactive media and TVCs) and live performance
sectors in Australia.
Key aspects of the role include:
- Supporting the Equity Director in negotiations involving industry wide and production
- Dispute resolution and enterprise bargaining
- Legal drafting – drafting contracts, enterprise agreements, and industry agreements
- Negotiating industrial agreements with producers
- Working closely with actors’ agents on a range of contractual issues and queries
- Providing legal and strategic industrial advice
- Servicing individual members with the more complex contractual or employment
- Working closely with Equity Organisers and attending cast meetings as necessary
- Working knowledge of the screen and live performance industries, especially
copyright and employment issues
- Industrial relations experience, including working knowledge of awards and
- Negotiation, advocacy and dispute resolution skills
- Ability to analyse and resolve individual member issues
- Ability to maintain good working relations with agents
- Commitment to working collegially
Legal qualifications would be well regarded as would experience in the screen or media
industries, along with a commitment to performers’ rights and to collectivist ideals. This role
would suit someone who has worked in a contracting role in the screen production or
broadcasting sector, as an agent, or as an industrial officer with another professional
The position is available on a 6 month fixed term basis with a package dependent on skills
and experience, plus 10.5% employer contribution to superannuation. You will also be
entitled to 5 weeks annual leave each year plus an additional 3 days leave between
Christmas and New Year.
Applications close on Thursday 14 November at 5pm. Please forward your curriculum vitae
and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director, Equity
Internal work contacts:
- Director Equity Foundation
- Equity staff
- National Performers Committee
- Director, Operations
- Director, Organising
- Director, Industrial & Advocacy
- Regional Directors
External Work Contacts:
- Other unions, the ACTU, international
trade union bodies
- Cultural industry promoters, owners and
- Fair Work Commission
- Industry stakeholders (eg entertainment
industry bodies, entertainment training