Legal Officer – RTBU NSW Locomotive Division
RTBU NSW Locomotive Division - Legal Officer
The Rail, Tram & Bus Union – NSW Locomotive Division is seeking an experienced solicitor with trade union values to join our team as a Legal Officer to advance the interests of Train Drivers and within the Public and Private Sector Rail Industry within NSW. The role offers the successful candidate a broad diversity of work, working across both the Passenger (public) and Freight (private) sectors within the National System Industrial jurisdiction.
The Locomotive Division is a semi-autonomous, high density division of 3700 members within the Rail, Tram & Bus Union – NSW Branch of the Australian Rail, Tram & Bus Industry Union which represents 33000 members across various classifications within the Rail, Tram and Bus Industry across Australia.
Members are based at locations across NSW and in the ACT and include rail work within the Sydney Metro, Interurban and Regional Passenger and the Coal, Intermodal, Bulk, and General Freight sectors, with many working across State borders.
Working with the Director of Organising, the role includes:
• Managing cases that are run Counsel or external solicitors in the Federal Circuit Court, and the Federal Court;
• Attending and appearing in matters before the Fair Work Commission, including running arbitrations autonomously;
• Providing comprehensive advice to the Divisional Secretary, Executive, Council, Director of Organising and Members on various industrial, employment, safety, award and internal matters;
• Assisting Organisers with enterprise bargaining;
• Attending meetings with, and advocating on behalf of members in statutory safety investigations; and
• Assisting in the preparation for industry and parliamentary consultations and inquiries.
The position will be based in our Sydney Office, however involves regular travel within NSW and, when necessary, interstate.
The successful applicant will have the following:
• 2-5 years' post-qualification experience as a Solicitor in Industrial, Employment and Safety;
• A demonstrated commitment to trade union principles;
• A strong attention to detail;
• Experience negotiating agreements or contracts in an adversarial setting;
• The ability to relate to both members, delegates, organisers and staff members, and to work both individually and as a team;
• Ability to work autonomously, and where required independently within the governance, policy and decisions of the RTBU and Locomotive Division;
• Ability to carry out project work, legal research, preparing complex correspondence and reports, coordinating submissions;
• A current driver’s licence;
• A strong, plain language communication style.
• High level communication skills, both written and verbal;
• Ability to manage reporting requirements and deadlines
Remuneration will be determined according to skills and experience.
15 days personal leave
5 weeks annual leave (20% leave loading).
One Rostered Day Off per month.
When applying for this position applicants should address the above essential requirements,
Applications should be addressed and emailed to:
NSW Locomotive Division
Applications close 5pm Wednesday 13 November 2019