Media Advisor – NSWTF
Date Advertised 15/09/2022
Sydney CBD Location
The New South Wales Teachers Federation is the registered trade union representing NSW public school teachers in pre-schools, infants, primary and secondary schools and TAFE Institutes. The NSW Teachers Federation looks after a multiplicity of issues on behalf of teachers. It also regards public education as a strong foundation for a sure future. Thus, it campaigns for betterments for all students who attend public schools so that they will receive a quality education.
About the Role
12 month opportunity
The Media Advisor is responsible for the coordination of all media enquiries, releases and related events in consultation with Communications. This includes planning media conferences, writing and distributing media releases, managing incoming media enquiries and seeking out media engagement opportunities.
As Media Advisor, you’ll be responsible for implementing a comprehensive media strategy (as determined by Senior Officers) to support NSWTF’s policy and campaign objectives. Leading day-to-day media liaison activities, you’ll work proactively to build relationships with media representatives and inject energy and creativity to make NSWTF’s campaigns accessible to a broader audience.
Playing a key role in strengthening, promoting and protecting NSWTF’s reputation, the Media Advisor will assist in lifting the organisation’s public profile as a trusted organisation.
To be considered for this position you will need to clearly demonstrate the following essential skills and experience:
- 3-5 years’ experience and/or skills in one or more of the following: journalism, media and/or public relations
• Proven ability to implement communication strategies that advance organisational goals
• Computer skills, including a minimum of Advanced MS Office and Adobe suite and knowledge of database applications, media monitoring and distribution software
• Attention to detail, planning and organising skills and the ability to work in high pressure situations with conflicting priorities
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to deal with people at all levels including difficult people/members as appropriate
• Respect for sensitivity and confidentiality of issues handled
• Ability to prioritise and be proactive
• Commitment to unionism
• Demonstrated awareness of WHS policies and procedures
• The ability to learn Federation Rules, policies and procedures and apply these as appropriate
• A degree or diploma would be highly regarded, as would equivalent experience in a similar role
• Relevant qualifications or willingness to work towards gaining qualifications would be highly regarded, as would equivalent work experience
How to Apply
To apply for the position, please send your application including a cover letter that addresses the requirements as listed, and a current resume by clicking on the APPLY button below or email email@example.com with “Media Advisor” in the subject line.
Applications that do not include a cover letter will not be considered.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed, and appointment is conditional upon successful reference checks and a probationary period. Successful candidates will be required to provide evidence of Covid-19 vaccination status.
No agency applications will be considered