National Campaigns Team Roles – TWU
Date Advertised 12/09/2022
Employer: Transport Workers Union of Australia National Office
Work Type/s: Full Time
Classification/s: Advocacy & Campaigns, Communications & Marketing, Unions & Workers Rights
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Job posted on: Monday 12 September 2022
Applications close: Friday 14 October 2022
Our Campaigns Team is looking to grow and recruit into a number of exciting roles. We have an ambitious, strategic agenda and we are looking for experienced, skilled and dynamic staff who have worked in either union organising and campaigning, education and training, or political or industrial campaigning.
The Transport Workers’ Union of Australia (TWU) is one of Australia’s leading campaigning trade unions, holding some of the biggest companies in the world to account over their treatment of workers, such as Amazon, Aldi and Qantas.
The TWU has led the charge in highlighting and tackling exploitation in the gig economy, pressuring companies and the government to address chronic underpayments and deadly pressures on food delivery riders and rideshare drivers. During the COVID shutdown of aviation, the TWU cemented its role as a powerful voice for aviation workers, serving as an integral player during the sale of Virgin Australia, and challenging Qantas over safety breaches, wage theft and the illegal outsourcing of 2,000 ground crew and cabin cleaners. Since it was founded, the TWU has represented the interests of truck drivers and logistics workers, exposing the financial pressures by major retailers, manufacturers and oil companies on road transport – Australia’s deadliest industry.
Are you interested in fighting multinational corporations, organising the workers who carry our country and ensuring safer roads and skies for everyone in Australia? We run comprehensive campaigns to give transport workers a powerful voice in the workplace, in Parliament, and in the community.
The Campaigns team is made up of experienced organisers, campaigners, educators and researchers who work together to create and implement national campaigns across the union. We are looking to add a number of people to the team, so if you have experience in any of these area’s we would like to hear from you:
Campaigning & Organising
- Help build and deliver national campaign plans.
- Development and implementation of organising and growth strategies, plans and projects across branches and nationally.
- Support the training and development of delegates and members across the campaign.
- Support and develop Branch organisers.
- Undertake and assist with research, planning, communications, and event management for campaign activity.
- Liaise with staff in other departments of the union to achieve success for the campaign.
- Coordinate and run actions, activities and campaign events.
- Build and manage relationships with staff in TWU state branches.
Training, Education and Development
- Coordination, creation and delivery of the union’s national education strategy.
- Deliver the unions national education delegates program as well as education for Health and Safety Reps (HSRs).
- To coach, mentor and empower delegates and members.
- Deliver training to support the development of organisers,
officials and lead officials.
- When necessary to support the delivery of Governance
- To create and update training materials and resources.
The successful applicant will ideally have:
- A proven track record as a union organiser or campaigner or educator.
- Experience with supply chain campaigning, training or development a plus.
- Have a Cert VI in teaching and assessment or willingness to work towards it (For education roles)
- Have a Cert VI in Occupational Health and Safety or willingness to work towards it (For education roles)
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- A willingness to understand and implement union growth strategies.
- Strong communications skills, including demonstrated ability to write reports and draft internal and external communications.
- Good IT communications skills, including experience with Excel and digital communications.
- An interest in learning how to lead other team members.
- A commitment to labour values.
- The role will be based in our national office in Sydney, with interstate travel.
- Applications welcome from candidates with the required experience and a passion for human rights.
To apply, forward a Cover Letter CV to Emily McMillan, Chief of Campaigns, Transport Workers’ Union of Australia by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For a confidential discussion about this role, please contact Emily McMillan, Tel: 02 8114 6500.