About the business and the role
The Electrical Trades Union is a growing union representing around 60,000 electrical workers and other skilled workers across a wide range of industries. It is a growing union with a proud history of defending workers’ rights.
Applications are sought for a highly qualified and experienced individual with the ability to work within a small team of professionals as a National Industrial Officer/Lawyer, reporting to the National Legal Counsel.
The ETU offers generous salary and employment conditions (including RDOs, additional annual leave and superannuation).
The position can be based in Sydney, NSW (office in Rosebery). The starting date is as soon as practicable.
Job tasks and responsibilities
The responsibilities of the National Industrial Officer include:
- advocacy before the Fair Work Commission (including PABOs, MSDs, scope orders, unfair dismissals, bargaining orders, Awards etc);
- advocacy and/or briefing Counsel for matters in the Federal Circuit Court and Federal Court of Australia (including breaches of the Fair Work Act);
- providing high level advice and assistance to the ETU’s leadership and State Branches;
- identifying and pursuing matters of national importance, including through strategic litigation;
- mentoring junior employees; and
- developing educational and training material for organisers and members.
Skills and experience
The successful candidate will:
- have a demonstrated commitment to trade unionism or social justice;
- have at least 2 years’ experience as a lawyer or industrial officer in a union (or equivalent);
- have an understanding of the Fair Work Act and the modern award system;
- be comfortable appearing in the Fair Work Commission;
- be comfortable briefing and instructing Counsel;
- have experience successfully managing competing deadlines; and
- be highly motivated, able to work independently and in small teams.
It will be desirable for the successful candidate to also:
- be a legal practitioner holding, or eligible to hold, a practising certificate;
- demonstrated experience of interlinking litigation with broader strategic objectives; and
- previous experience in the electrical power industry or trades occupations.
To apply, please email your CV and a cover letter addressing the above criteria to Joanne Hodge at email@example.com by Friday 18 June 2021.