National Industrial Organiser – AWU
Date Advertised 18/08/2023
National Industrial Organiser
Australian Workers Union – National Office
The Australian Workers’ Union (AWU), the nation’s oldest blue-collar trade union, is currently seeking an experienced National Organiser to join our dedicated team at the National Office. Representing a diverse range of working Australians across various industries in all States and Territories, the AWU is committed to achieving the best outcomes for our members.
Position: National Industrial Organiser
Type: Permanent (subject to probationary period)
Location: AWU National Office, Granville, NSW
As a National Organiser with AWU, your key responsibilities will include:
- Fulfilling the requirements of the AWU Regional Construction and Agriculture Safety Initiative:
- Coordinating and conducting WHS-based site visits in regional construction and agriculture.
- Collaborating with AWU State Branches to deliver informative WHS sessions to members in these sectors.
- Providing WHS materials to workers with English as a second language.
- Identifying and capitalising on strategic growth opportunities within designated industries and workplaces.
- Developing and executing strategies to bolster union membership, strength, and activism.
- Leading and overseeing the negotiation process of enterprise agreements, ensuring improved wages and conditions for members.
- Collaborating closely with delegates, activists, and other AWU personnel to drive industry-specific and union-wide campaigns.
To be considered for this role, you must meet the following criteria:
- Previous experience in progressive organising or a proven record of representing workers at the workplace level.
- Demonstrated skills in workplace bargaining.
- Strong understanding of WHS laws and expertise in WHS-centered organising.
- Proficiency in literacy and computer skills.
- Ability to interpret industrial instruments and comprehend state and federal workplace legislation.
- Skill in identifying and nurturing workplace leaders and to inspire individuals to become active union members.
- Exceptional planning, strategic-thinking, and time-management abilities.
- Familiarity with current digital media trends and platforms.
- Strong work ethic with the capability to work independently.
- Willingness to travel, including interstate as required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an industrial and WHS entry permit.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
Terms and Conditions:
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer:
- Superannuation paid at above the Super Guarantee rate.
- Monthly Paid Day Off (RDO).
- Salary protection ensuring financial stability.
- 25% annual leave loading for added benefits.
To apply for this position, please submit your application to AWU Operations Manager Mark Fagan at email@example.com Your application should include:
A comprehensive CV highlighting your experience and qualifications.
A cover letter addressing the key points outlined in the Position Description.
Please use the subject line ‘National Organiser’ when submitting your application.
While there is no formal closing date, interested individuals are encouraged to apply at their earliest convenience. All applications will be treated confidentially.
Join the Australian Workers’ Union National Office and play a vital role in empowering workers and upholding their rights. Your dedication and skills can make a meaningful impact in our dynamic and purpose-driven union.
The Australian Workers’ Union is an equal opportunity employer.