Unions NSW is the peak council of trade unions in NSW representing over 600,000 members and 60 affiliated unions and trades and labor councils and is part of the broader trade union movement.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Senior Accountant position will work in an open and collaborative environment where you will interact closely with internal and external stakeholders, including staff, member organisations, auditors and regulators.
As part of our strategy to structure our organisation for future sustainability and growth over the coming year, we are seeking an experienced and qualified Senior Accountant to assist the CFO and play an important role in meeting the objectives of a small but effective Finance team.
- Implement and enhance internal controls, policies and procedures;
- Responsibility for managing day to day accounting activities;
- Drive month-end process: including journals and all P&L and BS reconciliations, on a timely basis;
- Prepare monthly management & KPI performance reporting for three separate entities on a timely basis;
- Prepare bi-monthly Finance & Governance meeting financial pack, on a timely basis
- Prepare and manage budgets, organisation yearly budget
- Prepare monthly budget verses actual reports for overall organisation, different divisions and different projects
- For financial year end, manage the external auditors and oversea the preparation of statutory accounts:
- Develop and maintain compliance and tax accounting frameworks;
- Prepare key organisation returns for GST, FBT, Payroll Tax, Workers Compensation and Electoral returns
- Cash flow management and banking facility monitoring and reporting
- Ad hoc projects and always looking to continuously improve processes
- Maintain and promote a collaborative, positive, energised and good-natured culture within the team.
- Maintain good relationship with 3rd party contractors
- Train, supervise and mentor account assistance on the day to day accounting activities, including work allocation
- Respectful to all colleagues and stakeholders
- Train and assist fellow colleagues with any finance governance, procedures and policies
- Minimum 5 years’ experience commercial experience in financial and/or management accounting role, leading a team, and full responsibility of the day-to-day finance requirements.
- CA or CPA qualified from a business services environment
- Ability to think analytically and problem-solve
- Ability to analyse financial performance and provide recommendations or solutions
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrate strong written skills, able to prepare reports, tenders and letters, etc
- Ability to communicate effectively to suppliers and staff of non-financial background
- A strong team player
- Ability to train junior staff with patience.
- Proficiency with Xero accounting and payroll package and other add on software apps
- Technologically proficient with Office 365
- Demonstrated attention to detail, strong work ethic, and demonstrated willingness to learn.
- Open to ad-hoc work outside of finance
- Experience in working with the not-for-profit sector and/or Unions.
- Demonstrated experience in business process improvement.
PAY AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Hours of work: 35 hours per week.
- Salary: Based on skills and experience.
- Annual Leave: 5 week's annual leave with 17.5% leave loading.
- Superannuation: 9.5% employer contributions 11.5% for female staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Unions NSW encourages applications from people who will enhance our diversity of people, cultural experiences, and perspectives.
- To apply for this role, please submit a CV (of no more than 3 pages) and a separate Cover Letter addressing the Essential Criteria.
- Send copies of your CV and Cover Letter to Ms. Amy Patrk via email: HR@unionsnsw.org.au
- Applications close 5:00pm on Friday 18th June 2021
- For inquiries, please contact Unions NSW on (02) 9881 5999