Senior Industrial Officer/Senior In-house Lawyer – AIPA
Date Advertised 20/01/2023
The Australian and International Pilots Association (AIPA) is a progressive union organising and representing within the Qantas Group including pilots employed by Qantas, Jetstar, QantasLink, Network Aviation and Express Freighters throughout Australia. The Association is seeking applications from a legally qualified advocate to join our in-house industrial team. AIPA works to promote, protect, and advance the interests of our membership through our various departments including legal, industrial relations, welfare, safety & technical and communications. AIPA is located in Mascot.
The successful candidate will possess attributes and experience as follows:
- Minimum 4 years experience in employment and industrial relations.
- Strong commitment to union values and trade unions generally with union experience highly desirable.
- Ability to work as part of a Legal and Industrial team.
- Experience in bargaining under the Fair Work Act and negotiating Enterprise Agreements.
- Representing and supporting individual members in investigations, disputes, or grievances with their employer.
- Assisting members with individual matters related to their Enterprise Agreement and Award and engaging with employers and delegates.
- Effective advocacy skills.
- Well-developed research, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- The ability to develop professional relationships with members, other officials, and employer representatives.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications.
- A current unrestricted practicing certificate or be capable of obtaining one.
The Duties of the Role include:
- Representing and advising members in workplace issues and disputes.
- Providing industrial relations and legal advice on workplace and industry-wide industrial matters to members.
- Supporting bargaining, drafting and enforcement of Enterprise Agreements in conjunction with AIPA’s portfolio holders.
- Drafting and preparing applications and submissions to various industrial tribunals and Courts on behalf of the Association and its members.
- Advocacy on behalf of the Association and its members in various industrial tribunals and Courts.
- Working strategically with the in-house legal and industrial team and elected officials of the Association to improve members’ working conditions.
- Supervising the work performed by junior lawyers and industrial officers.
- Ensuring the Association’s governance compliance.
- Undertaking legal research and assisting in the preparation of legal cases.
Salary is negotiable and will be commensurate with experience and skills.
AIPA’s office is modern and well resourced, located close to Mascot train station. We are a friendly, professional staff of around 15. Some work from home is available.
For a confidential discussion about this role, please contact us on 02 8307 7777.
We look forward to receiving your CV and a covering letter which details your interest in this role: firstname.lastname@example.org